maandag 15 december 2014

South Africa: Boerwors, Stywe Pap, Sous en Melktart

13 December 2014

Today it was Nikkis turn once again, and she had chosen to eat food from South Africa!  As we had friends from there when we lived in China, I mailed her and asked, what would be a typical South African meal.  She replied back:

Boerewors, stywe pap (stiff mielie meal porridge) and tomato & onion gravy and then to finish off a milk tart.


So, that is of course what I made!

I had made boerwors many times before for the great South african Braai, that used to be an annual event at the Parrot bar in Teda, we even got quite good at making sausage, and used to do it almost once a month. Since living back in europe this is only the second time that I got the sausage stuffer out of the closet. Everytime I do, I think I should do it more often though..

The recipe I use for Boerewors was given to me by a good friend, and I have it printed, but not soft copy. I will copy it and add it here in time. Until then, trust me, they were good!

Here is the recipe:

TEDA WORS. (5.5kg - 12lbs)

Meat.
4.2kg Beef (Lean.)
1.3kg Pork fat (Nice and thick, must remove any hard skin. Don't exceed fat content.)

Dry ingredients. (Mix all together in advance.)
4 Tablespoons of salt. (60ml)
1 Dessertspoon white pepper. (10ml)
3 3/4 Dessertspoons coriander. (37,5ml total – 22,5ml ground and 15ml seeds)
1 Dessertspoon sugar. (10ml)
1 Teaspoon nutmeg. (5ml)
1 Teaspoon cloves. (5ml)
1/2 Teaspoon thyme. (2.5ml)

Wet ingredients.
1/2 Cup vinegar. (125ml) (Use brown or red wine vinegar – Brown ‘Safari’ preferred.)
1/4 Cup Worcestershire sauce. (62.5ml)

Sausage casings - As required. Use 32/34 mm casings.

Step 1:
Soak casings in cold water.

Step 2:
Cut the lean meat into cubes suitable for the mincer.
Cut pork fat into smaller cubes, about 12 - 15 mm squares. Smaller cubes make it easier to distribute evenly.
Mix the fat and the lean meat.
Evenly mix the dry ingredients with the meat.

Step 3:
Mince the meat.

Step 4:
Add the vinegar/Worcestershire sauce together and mix lightly into the minced meat.

Step 5:
Stuff the sausage casings.

IF HUNGRY BRAAI AND EAT IMMEDIATELY, but best left for a day or so to allow the spices to soak through the meat.

Seal and refrigerate. 



The meat
 The spice mixture

 Ready to grind!
 Just finished grinding
 Stuffed!  I ran out of pork casings, so finished the last bit into lamb casing.  This will be fine as a breakfast sausage.



The combination!  Stywe Pap, sous en Boeries!

For the Stywepap, i used the following recipe:
http://ukuva-iafrica.com/recipes.html

For the Sous i use the following recipe:
http://www.rainbowcooking.co.nz/recipes/sheba-sauce

The main course was good, but the real discovery here for me was dessert!  I was a bit sceptical of somthing called Milk tart, but it was delicious!  It was quite simple to make, and we finished the whole pie in one sitting!  This one I will be making much more often!

http://www.justeasyrecipes.co.za/2009/08/27/milk-tart/





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten